City of Hermosa Beach:Homeless Count
Hermosa Beach's annual Homeless Count will take place on Wednesday, January 26, 2022 from 8 p.m. to 11 p.m. at City Council Chambers at 1315 Valley Drive. Teams of volunteer drivers and counters ages 18 and up will help count persons experiencing homelessness in Hermosa Beach. The City is grateful for the community's continued support of this important event and is seeking a maximum of 25 volunteers through online signups. Teams of two or more can register to volunteer on the official registration website.
How It Works:
- Volunteers will be asked to complete a brief online training and download the new smartphone-based app prior to arrival at the Hermosa Beach Council Chambers. We asked that you please bring your car if you are able to be a team driver. (Parking will be available in the City Hall lot).
- While working in teams of 2-3, you’ll be assigned a census tract that you’ll drive or walk, looking for persons experiencing homelessness.
- You will count how many people you see– keeping a respectful distance and using a smartphone-based app.
- When your team has finished, you’ll return to Council Chambers to check out and return supplies.
- Please dress warmly and bring a flashlight if you have one available.
Each year the City participates in the Greater Los Angeles Homeless Count to collect crucial data on homelessness in our community. These counts help the City and homeless service providers to develop policies and tailor strategies and services to end homelessness on a regional level.
For more information, please visit the City's Homeless Services webpage for:
- Contacts to assist people experiencing homelessness
- Previous annual Homeless Count statistics
- The City's Five Year Homelessness Plan (2018)
- Frequently asked questions & answers
- Resources & links